Church Records can be viewed on the link below:
Rathangan represents the old parishes of Duncormick, Killag, Ballyconnick, Kilmannon and part of Ambrosetown. In 1327 Duncormick was appropriated to the Knights Hospitallers of Kilmainham.
In pre - Reformation times, the principal church in the aea was at Duncormick. When this was taken over by the Reformed Church, a small chapel was built at Belgrove, about a mile and a half from Duncormick. Subsequently, a small mud-walled chapel was built at Rathangan and is thought to have remained in use until the end of the eighteenth century when a more substantial building was erected. Some remains of this church can be seen in the old cemetery. A chapel at Newtown was destroyed in the 1798 Insurrection.
Rev. Garret O'Toole, PP from 1853 to 1875, decided in 1863 to build a new church, but legal difficulties relating to the lease of lthe sie delayed the project. It was not until the 1st of June1870 that the first foundation stone was laid. The architect was Robert Sinnott of Wexford, and the builder James Wilkinson of Enniscorthy.
The church is a Gothic cruciform building. Seven arches resting on Cork red marble pillars separate the nave and choir from the side aisles. The east window was the concept of Canon O’Toole and depicts scenes from the Scriptures. The church is built of red conglomerate stone from the local quarry of Nicharee, with Carlow granite forming the dressings of the doors and windows. The tower and spire, 135’ high to the top of the cross, form a conspicuous landmark in the locality. The church was often referred to as ‘the cathedral in the fields’.
The dedication of the church to The Assumption and St Laurence O’Toole took place on 5 October 1873. A medallion portrait of Canon O’Toole can be seen in the floor in front of the altar. A marble altar donated by the Patrician Brothers’ Novitiate, Tullow was installed in 1998 together with a marbel ambo.
(Information courtesy of ‘Churches of The Diocese of Ferns' book)
Parish Priest: Fr. Kevin Cahill